THE TRAMSHED AT PICKMERE ROAD CROOKES SHEFFIELD
The Tramshed at Crookes was one of six depots that were located throughout Sheffield that were built to service and maintain Sheffield's fleet of over four hundred trams. Designed by F.E.P. Edwards the City Architect, construction on the sheds started prior to 1914 on the site of an old brickyard but, due to the onset of war, the work was not fully completed until 1919. Above the first gate on a Queen Anne Gable is the inscription "SCT1919" but in fact the sheds did not actually open until a year later. Like other sheds in the city it was built at the end of a route since the first and last traffic is generally inward and outward. The sheds remained operational until the tram system was withdrawn in 1960. The above photograph was taken in 1957 and shows the tramcar 200 entering the Depot.
At the same time as the sheds were built, five corporation houses were constructed in Fitzgerald Road for use by the Depot staff. These still remain. As stated the sheds were then used for many years by the City Council as workshops and garages for their vehicles but were eventually demolished in the late 1990's. A Roman Catholic Church St Vincents was built on the site.
St Vincents Roman Catholic Church - Photograph taken April 2012
There is another photograph that was also taken in the winter of 1957 and shows a tram actually in service on Crookes Road. The shop was demolished many years ago.
Return to Main Crookes Page
Return to Main Family History Page
This page was last updated on 21/10/15 14:51