THE SIMPSON FAMILY
Tom married MARY SIMPSON in 1948 at Wadsley Parish Church. Sheffield, Yorkshire. MARY was the youngest daughter of HENRY and EVELINE SIMPSON nee BARKER.
HENRY known as HARRY and EVELINE were married at St Bartholomew's Church Burgoyne Road Sheffield The marriage took place on 14th July 1909
The photograph on the left shows MARY'S eldest two sisters ALICE (1909 - ) and ELSIE (1916 - ) together with her older brother JAMES (1912 -1981 ). There is no date on the photograph but it was taken circa 1918.
In total HENRY and EVELINE had seven children, six daughters and one son
1. ALICE born 25th November 1909
Alice standing outside the cake shop where she worked. I believe the shop was on Middlewood Road, Sheffield
2. JAMES born 14th July 1912. Jim served with the Eighth Army in North Africa in WW2 and after demobilization he returned to spend the rest of his working life with Sheffield Corporation as a Refuse Collection Driver. In fact at the time of his retirement he had spent over 50 years with the local council. He died on New Years Eve 1981 at the age of 69 from a Coronary Thrombosis at his home in Dunella Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield. He was cremated at City Road Crematorium the following week.
Alice and Jim with their Uncle Willis circa 1916
3. EVELINE born 28th November 1913 and died a few months later.
4. ELSIE born 22nd September 1916. Elsie married a WILLIAM BILLARD. There is a photograph of Bill and Elsie's wedding below. Her younger sisters MARY (to the left) and MAY (to the right) are also present on the photo
6. MAY born 4th August 1922 at 21 Freedom Street Sheffield Yorkshire. She attended Hillsborough Council School and then joined the services at the outbreak of war in 1939. After the war she spent the rest of her working life with the Post Office/BT as a Telephonist Supervisor. MAY lived to be 80 years of age but sadly died on 29th January 2003 at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield from complications following a cerebral infarction. She was buried on Monday 10th February 2003 at Wisewood Cemetery Sheffield, the same resting place as her parents. May was the first member of the family to have a woodland burial.
The above photograph was taken of May at the age of 5 in 1927
7. MARY born 11th June 1927 Sheffield Yorkshire
The above photograph shows the youngest daughter MARY (1927 - with her elder sisters MAY (1922 - 2003) on the right and DOROTHY on the doorstep .
Return to the main SHUTT page
Return to main Family History page
This page was last updated on 27/03/08 18:41